Monday 20 August 2012

Gorilla trekking

The main reason for heading to this part of Africa is of course to see the mountain gorillas.



And who could resist?

This part of the trip had the possibility of being the hardest bit to organise.  I had read many tales of nightmares dealing with the park authorities in order to get permits and how to pay the fees etc.  So I followed the advice in my guidebook Lonely Planet East Africa - and contacted a tour company based in Rwanda.

This turned out to be pretty simple  - I e-mailed them, they e-mailed me back with a suggested itinerary and price, I sent them some money, and they did everything else.

Amahoro tours are their name - I've been dealing with Anne.  They have been pretty good, despite one small hiccup.  They put together the following schedule for us-

2 nights B&B accommodation in their Guest House in Musanze
Gorilla trekking for two people
Basket weaving and banana beer making in a local village
Transport to and from the trail head

Total cost of $790 per person.  Ouch.  Ohhh that hurts. But at least we got in there before the Rwandan govt increased the cost of the trekking permits from $500 to $750.

No comments:

Post a Comment